Single Machine to Entire Plant Dismantlement
B. L. Nickelson Iron and Metal began operating in 1909 at the current location of Nickelson Industrial Service at 8501 S. Baltimore Ave in Chicago. Morris Lev began working in the scrap business after the Great Depression. He and his brother Joe owned Standard Iron & Metal and Standard Paper Grading. As each of their families grew, the businesses could not support their expanded families and in 1969 Morris and son Jeffrey bought B. L. Nickelson Iron and Metal, which was a full-service scrap yard handling all grades of industrial scrap iron and nonferrous metals and paper. For several years Morris and his son Jeffrey operated the business as a scrap yard.
Recognizing that a considerable amount of scrap is generated as a result of machinery dismantlement, Nickelson began diversifying into the dismantlement business during the 1970’s and became Nickelson Industrial Service. The company began acquiring additional trailers, tractors and dismantling equipment to meet the needs of the new segment of business.
Today, after over 40 years in business, Nickelson Industrial Service is a leader in the mechanical and industrial dismantlement industry of Chicago and Northwest Indiana.